The Merlin Standard
The vision for the Standard is to ensure that it is established as an exemplar of best practice supply chain management across public, private and third sectors in the UK and Internationally.
The purpose of the Merlin Standard is to support the development, recognition, and promotion of sustainable excellence, and positive partnership working within supply chains. It is built upon 8 fundamental and integrated Principles: Design, Procure, Contract, Funding, Develop, Performance Manage, QA & Compliance, and Review & Close.
Although produced with the active involvement of the welfare to work sector, the Standard is generic by design and applicable to any organisation delivering on a contract through a supply chain.
Assessment Services Ltd provide the assessments and accreditation service for Prime Organisations wishing to achieve the Standard and be recognised for their excellence in supply chain management.
The Download section provides all the information needed to start the Merlin journey.
If you have any questions, or you would like someone to contact you about the Merlin Standard and / or the assessment process, please email email@example.com.
Meet Our Lead Assessors
Benefits Of The Merlin Standard
In complying with the Merlin Standard organisations are demonstrating our commitment to developing healthy and high performing supply chains.
For the Primes
- Great to have an impartial review of our practices.
- Gives an insight into the views of our Supply Chain Partners from a different and independent source.
- Learnt more about how we work with Supply Chain Partners and how we can share best practice between divisions.
- This has supported more positive working relationships and shared vision in terms of Supply Chain Partners.
- Supply Chain Partners now believe we ‘listen’ and actively involve them in the development of systems and processes.
- Acknowledgement that approach is rigorous and identifying where we can continue to improve.
Examples of the improvements Prime Contractors have seen through working with the Merlin Standard.
- The process and the standard (including the assessment) has helped us focus on our supply chain, areas where we needed to improve but also confirmation that what we were currently doing was correct.
- Annual review of tendering process against Merlin ensures that our process continues to be fit for purpose.
- Sharing of our values and roles in a contract was the ‘elephant in the room’ which the Merlin assessment revealed.
- Our Supply Chain Managers have come together and shared ideas, best practice and practical approaches.
- Increased consultation over wider sector challenges and opportunities.
- Wider communications regarding industry and sector have been introduced, e.g. sector policy briefings to inform suppliers
- More structured Training Needs Analysis of provider needs..
- We have seen a more transparent way of working and endeavoured to promote the Merlin ethos especially when working to support smaller organisations.
- Appreciation of how valued the service we provide to our delivery partners is, more rigorous approach to performance management
For the Supply Chain Partners
- Receive clear, transparent and timely communication about partnership opportunities,
- Obtain a structured evaluation of their Expressions of Interest and detailed feedback should they request it.
- Work with a network of like-minded partner organisations providing mutual benefit and support
- Share knowledge, with opportunities to advance their own organisation’s work
- Work in an environment and culture of respect, honesty, transparency and mutual support
- Can expect robust supply chain management with intuitive and effective procurement systems and payment processes
- Have greater opportunities to help more individuals, families and communities
- Can have greater political influence, helping shape policy through involvement in debates and research